The news of BP reaching a settlement with a core group of plaintiffs spread quickly through the legal and oil industries. While most plaintiffs are happy with the recent developments it has come as unwelcomed news for some. A recent New York Times article tells the story of one couple for whom the settlement means they will be waiting a little longer for their money.
According to the NYT story Denise and Larry Haralson had settled their claim for losses Mr. Haralson had suffered as construction worker during the economic slump that followed the spill. The couple were finishing up the last few pieces of paperwork and waiting for a $14,600 check when the settlement was reached early this month.
The couple planned to use the funds to get away from the sluggish market of Mississippi and relocate to North Dakota where the construction business is booming, but now it looks like they will not getting the money as soon as they expected.
Under the guidelines of the settlement a new claims center will replace the Gulf Coast Claims Facility that has paid out $6 billion in claims thus far and was about to pay out the Haralson’s claim. Plaintiff’s attorneys believe that the new court supervised claims center will result in higher payouts for most plaintiffs, but for the Haralson’s this means more waiting.
Once the center gets up and running the Haralson’s will receive 60 percent of the original offer and the remaining 40 percent will be judged under new rules. Under the new rules no one will have to accept less than their original offer but many may receive higher payouts. This is little consolation to the Haralson’s who were ready to take their offer and move on, but now it looks like they will be waiting at least a little longer.
The Haralson’s and hundreds of others feel like they have been victimized twice, first by the spill and then by the daunting legal process.
The oil spill attorneys at Reich & Binstock are representing hundreds of plaintiff’s who suffered damages as a result of the spill. Even if you have already settled your claim you may be entitled to additional damages under the new rules outlined in the settlement. Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our BP oil spill attorneys.