The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

As we all work to recover from the devastation caused by
Hurricane Ike it is important to follow some simple safety guidelines to keep
you and your family safe. Several people in the Houston and Galveston area have
already died from carbon monoxide poisoning resulting from the use of gasoline
powered generators. Generators can quickly produce deadly amounts of carbon
monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can quickly kill you
and your family in matter of minutes.

Portable generators should never be used indoors; this
includes the garage. It is also important to remember that dangerous carbon
monoxide can enter the home through open windows, even if the generator is
being used outside.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that
those who are using portable generators install CO alarms with battery backup
inside the home, especially in sleeping areas.

With over 1 million people still without electricity and thousands
depending on portable generators for their only source of power in the Houston
area carbon monoxide poisoning is a very real danger and should not be taken

For more information on generator safety and Hurricane safety
tips visit the CPSC website.

I wish everyone in Houston, Galveston, and the surrounding
communities a speedy recovery.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest