The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

In today’s world we have all types of gadgets around our homes and we will only get more gadgets in the future. From remote controls to flash lights, they are all powered by batteries and more and more often these days they are powered by small button batteries. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently issued a warning about the potential hidden dangers of button batteries.

The reason button batteries are so popular is the same thing that makes them dangerous, they are small. These batteries sometimes end up in the hands of small children and we all know where they end up next, in their mouth of course. If a button battery is swallowed by a small child it can often times become lodged in the throat or the intestine which can generate and release hydroxide, resulting in dangerous chemical burns. In fact the battery has the potential to burn a hole through the child’s esophagus or intestine causing very serious complications.

Elderly individuals have swallowed button batteries for hearing aids and other devices by mistaking them for medications.

Diagnosing the problem can be very tricky, because in many cases parents are unaware that the child swallowed the battery. Symptoms like upset stomach and fever that are common in children make the problem even more difficult to diagnose.

If you suspect that your child may have swallowed a button battery you should seek immediate emergency medical attention for your child. Battery ingestion can cause serious and potentially fatal complications. The National Battery Ingestion Hotline is available at anytime at (202) 625-3333 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (202) 625-3333 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

For more information visit the CPSC button battery warning page here.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest