In November of 2006 Mattel issued a voluntary recall of about 2.4 million Polly Pocket Dolls. As it turns out this was only a fraction of the actual defective products. Almost 5 million more play sets were recalled in mid-August.
These the additional recalls pose the same risk as the first one, small magnets can become dislodged and can pose serious health risks if swallowed by a child. The injuries could result in intestinal perforation or even death.
Since the previous recall announcement, Mattel has received more than 400 additional reports of magnets coming loose. CPSC was aware in the first recall announcement of 170 reports of the magnets coming out of the recalled toys. There had been three reports of serious injuries to children who swallowed more than one magnet. All three suffered intestinal perforations that required surgery.
The toys were sold in various retail stores from 2003 to 2006. Consumers are compelled to immediately take recalled toys away from children and contact Mattel for replacement.
For more information on this subject matter, please refer to the section on Defective and Dangerous Products.