Do you have difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep? Well this may be due to inadequate quantity or quality of sleep that you are getting. You might be suffering from insomnia. There are 3 common types of insomnia:
- Transient insomnia- symptoms lasting less than one week
- Short-term insomnia- symptoms last between 1 and 3 weeks
- Chronic insomnia- symptoms last longer than 3 weeks.
Many causes of the transient and short-term insomnia include:
- Jet lag
- Changes in shift work
- Excessive or unpleasant noise
- Uncomfortable room temperature
- Stressful situations in life
- Presence of an acute medical or surgical illness or hospitalization
- Withdrawl from drug, alcohol, sedative, or stimulant medications
- Insomnia related to high altitude
The majority of causes of long-term insomnia are usually linked to an underlying psychiatric or physiologic (medical) condition
If you suffer from insomnia you are not alone, many people all over the world occasionally suffer from a lack of sleep and there are treatments available now to help. Talk to your doctor about what type of treatment is right for you.